7 Tools to Turbocharge Email & Work Efficiency in 2023
How many times have you found yourself under a pile of emails that take hours to sort through? How often do you struggle to quickly find an important message or forget to follow up after an event? How many newsletters do you receive every day that clog your inbox even more?
Email often springs up in productivity articles as an issue that devours your time. And often, this really seems to be the truth. The thing is that email itself is not an issue — it's a tool that changed the game in communication and created tons of possibilities to quickly send and receive info — but the lack of right email efficiency tools and understanding on how to manage your time are.
So, what tools can you use to boost your email and work productivity right away and regain control over your time? Here's a roundup of our top picks to help you:
- Improve email efficiency (for companies and professionals)
- Keep track of conversations that require follow-ups
- Deal with all the junk mail
- Share big files in your emails
- Get organized with next-level to-do lists
- Keep your team's mailbox and workflow tidy
- Meet up with your team regardless of your location
Mailbird is the perfect email client for busy people that unifies all your email accounts, personal or business, into a single interface.
It's not just one of many similar email management tools that receives emails and allows you to create folders. It is a hub for features and integrations that lets you turn your email into a workstation for online communications, save time, and significantly decrease the number of unnecessary distractions.
What's Great About Mailbird?
- Managing multiple email accounts easily. You can instantly switch between all your accounts inside the app's interface or click to use a Unified account and view all your correspondence at once. There's no need to load different tabs and apps to open your mailboxes when everything can be done in the same app.
- Convenient organization. Remember how Cinderella had to pick up lentils from ashes? That's what sorting high-priority emails from the junk mail feels like. With Mailbird, you can use color-coded folders and sub-folders to organize your inbox and trash the junk easily. And even more, you can use filters and set rules to automatically sort your incoming mail — and improve your email efficiency and effectiveness significantly.
- Possibility to manage email really quickly. Mailbird has many features intended to save time and help eliminate the "whoopsies." For example, you can quickly preview messages and attachments, unsend mistaken emails, utilize keyboard shortcuts, and much more.
- Productivity app integrations. A big part of your life lives in emails, be it dinner plans or new contract negotiations, and these important tasks can pile up. Mailbird has great integrations with top productivity tools, such as Asana, Todoist, Wunderlist, and many others that will help you get more done without the excess stress and a desktop full of sticky notes.
- High compatibility. Mailbird works with any kind of email account, plus messengers: Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, WeChat, and Twitter. This is not just a convenient feature. It helps you decrease the number of unnecessary distractions and raise productivity. You know what it looks like: you open Facebook or Twitter to check one or two messages, and then you find yourself having lost a full hour reading your news feed. With Mailbird, you don't need to distract yourself by opening a social network. You can quickly check your incoming messages and get back to work.
- Ease of use. Installing the app is a breeze, as is adding your email account. The setup is intuitive — a clean and easy-to-navigate design. And you can customize the appearance and behavior of the program, from themes and fonts to shortcuts to speed up your work with email.
- Windows-only. Currently, the app exists only for Windows, but you can expect a Mac version in the future.
- Free trial: Mailbird is a paid tool you can try out for free with all features available to decide whether it's your cup of tea.
- Billing options: from $3 to $5 per month, depending on the features, or a one-time payment of $79.
Try it! Download the app and connect it to all your email and messaging accounts to improve your email management efficiency at work and create a healthier relationship with email.
FollowUp.cc is originally a Chrome extension for setting reminders to keep up with emails that require, well, follow-ups.
What's Great About FollowUp.cc?
- Possibility to set reminders when you need to follow up, with just one click. You don't need to keep these small tasks in mind, and you don't need to put them into your to-do list or a third-party app. You can do it right inside your mailbox — and forget until the day comes.
- An option to set automatic follow-ups. Some of your emails can get lost in your addressee's inbox, but sending a follow-up message will put your email at the top. In the FollowUp app, you can do this automatically by adding a kind reminder (e.g., "Hey! Just checking in to see if you got a chance to read my email.") as a template and setting a time for the follow-up message to go out. It's a great thing to improve email efficiency at work, especially if you often deal with meetings and events.
- Integration with Mailbird that allows using it with any email account. FollowUp.cc is Gmail-only if you use it as is, but if you integrate it with Mailbird it won't matter which email account you have: it will work for all. And you'll also be able to view your scheduled follow-ups in your calendar:
- Limited compatibility. If you use FollowUp.cc as is, you can use it only for Gmail and only in Chrome. But it's easy to overcome the issue if you use Mailbird. Then, the app will manage your follow-ups inside all your accounts.
- Free trial period. The app is paid, but you can try it free for 14 days.
- Billing options: from $18 to $40 per month, depending on the features.
|Hint: Use Maildbird's in-built Snooze feature to organize your inbox by snoozing email that can wait until you're done with high-priority ones, or until it's time to follow up on that email. You can also use the feature as a sort of calendar, snoozing emailed events until the big date.|
Unroll.me is one of the greatest and simplest tools to boost your email efficiency. The app was created to sniff out all those subscription emails that clutter your inbox and distract you from the higher-priority correspondence. It will produce an alphabetic list of addresses for you to decide which ones to keep, say goodbye to, or add to a Rollup. It's just one function, but Unroll.me can give your inbox lots of fresh air.
What's Great About Unroll.me?
- An easy solution for the email overload issue. You don't need to search for those tiny unsubscribe links in footers, and you don't need to waste your time answering the "Why do you want to leave us?" questions. You can free up your inbox in seconds.
- It's simple to use. There are just three buttons for keeping a subscription, deleting, and adding to a Rollup. And that's all you need.
- Rollup feature. It allows grouping your favorite subscriptions into a bundle to better manage them and also save time.
- Unroll.me is integrated in Mailbird due to a high demand. However, the owner of the service, Rakuten Technologies, uses customers' purchase information from commercial emails to measure market trends. This is what makes Unroll.me free. That's why some people prefer to use Mailbird's native filters instead of this app.
|Hint: A native spam filter is coming soon to Mailbird! Until then, if you prefer not to use Unroll.me due to security concerns, you can set up filters in Mailbird to, for example, send emails you deem as spam into a low-priority or spam folder.|
- It's free. The company doesn't charge you for using the app.
Dropbox is a popular cloud-based platform for storing and sharing files of any size. Why do we put it into a list of game-changing email efficiency tools? If integrated with Mailbird, it can help you save time and effort. For example, you can instantly send one file or a whole folder via email and open access for editing to collaborate on it:
Or manage — and even edit — the files right in the Mailbird app:
What's Great About Dropbox?
- Possibility to easily search, send, and share files within correspondence. You don't need to waste your time switching between apps, searching for files, and sharing access. If you often send files to other people, you'll appreciate the possibility to do all the actions in just one to two clicks right inside your mailbox.
- Unlimited upload size. As long as you have available space, you can upload to Dropbox and share files of any size — and you'll never see that "your file is too large for an attachment" message that often appears within business correspondence.
- File recovery & version history. Dropbox monitors the changes made to files so you can restore a file to its original form or see who made the changes.
- Limited free space. There's just 2Gb of free storage.
- Sometimes it works slowly. Dropbox Business can lack speed at times, especially if dealing with large files.
- Personal use: 2Gb of storage is free
- Dropbox Business:
- 30-day trial period
- Billing options: from $12.50 to $25 per month for 3+ users, depending on the storage capacity and additional features
- Custom price for an Enterprise version
If you like to-do lists and getting things done, Todoist is a great productivity app that helps prioritize and manage tasks. And yes, it helps you organize your time and tasks even better when integrated with Mailbird. Now you can schedule and filter your tasks right inside your email app and quickly add tasks when you get them in your correspondence.
What's Great About Todoist?
- It makes your daily to-do list very easy to manage. You simply add tasks, set a project and priority, and check when they're done. With its simple interface and all the necessary features present, it has become one of the world's most popular productivity apps.
- A thoughtful set of features. We all need to create, change, move, and prioritize tasks, assign them to different projects, set reminders, and possibly several more things for better usability. A lack of features may be as disappointing as feature overload. Todoist maintains a great balance, staying minimalistic yet convenient.
- Karma meter. Todoist gives productivity reports so you can see your progress visually and watch your inspiration add up.
|Hint: Premium Todoist users can send emails from Mailbird to auto-create tasks. The subject will become the task title and the contents of the email will be a commentary. Plus, all attachments under 25Mb will also appear.|
- Some people find the app too simplistic.
- Free for up to 80 projects and up to five team members
- Billing options: from $3 to $5 per month, depending on the number of projects and team members
|Hint: Mailbird has another task manager integration — Moo.do — that also has a drag-and-drop feature. You can use it to add your emails into the Moo.do Outliner (tasks) or Calendar (schedule).|
Asana is another popular productivity tool for managing work and projects within a team. If integrated with Mailbird, it can turn your mailbox into a productivity workstation where you not only handle correspondence but also sort out your tasks and change statuses in just a few clicks. It's a very nice shortcut to improve email efficiency for companies.
What's Great About Asana?
- It's one of the best task management tools out there. Asana lets you visualize your workflow and track tasks in a very convenient way using a list, calendar, or Kanban board view.
- Project timeline visualization. You can track deadlines and also see the progress your team has made on a project.
- Possibility to automate the workflow. You can set rules for recurring actions, such as adding certain followers to first-priority tasks or reopening a task after completion.
- Track each team member's workload: Asana also visualizes how many tasks each employee has on their hands so you can maintain a healthy work balance within the team.
- Accessible in Mailbird through sidebar. Each extra click steals your time when you switch between apps, wait for pages to load, and then switch again. Now you can instantly check and manage all your team's tasks in the same interface where you check your inbox.
|Hint: You can send emails as tasks from Mailbird by forwarding them to Asana's unique email address. You can use the same feature to create Team or Project conversations.|
- Only a few of the most popular features are available in the free version, such as board view and app integrations.
- Free with limited functionality for new teams (up to 15 members)
- Billing options: from $10.99 to $30.49 per month depending on features and advanced integrations
- Custom price for the Enterprise version
Sometimes emails and chats aren't enough for a team to finish tasks. Whereby is a video conferencing tool for collaboration with remote workers. If integrated with Mailbird, it allows you to make video calls from the same interface where you check your inbox, without opening any additional apps or installing plugins — like for the weekly meetings at Mailbird:
What's Great About Whereby?
- No installation needed. Whereby is web-based so you don't need to install anything onto your computer. Even more, you can turn on the integration inside Mailbird and connect to calls (or initiate them) instantly in the app.
- Unique URL for your conference room. Each room is assigned a name so it's easy to join in by typing that name after whereby.com.
- Screen sharing. Anyone in a meeting room can share their screens to show documents and pictures, resolve issues, and make sure everyone is on the same page.
- Recording of the meeting. For an additional fee or in the Business package you have the feature to record and download the meeting for future reference or people who couldn't join.
- Accessible in Mailbird through sidebar. You can meet with your team and discuss all the project-related questions right inside the Mailbird app.
- Limited functionality in the free version.
- Free for one user and one meeting room
- $9.99/month for one user and three rooms
- $59.99/month for the Business version for multiple team members, admins, and 10+ rooms
|Hint: Mailbird also integrates with Veeting Rooms — another video conferencing tool that offers more security and confidentiality.|
ClickUp is a project management platform designed to save you time by bringing all of your work together in one place.
What's Great About ClickUp?
- Seamless integration of email and project management. You no longer need to keep track of your email separate from the rest of your work. Keep track of your work's progress and receive email updates in the exact same place, ensuring everyone stays on the same page at all times.
- Over 1000 third-party integrations. ClickUp does more than just manage your work, update your teams, and incorporate email into your workflow. With over 1000 third-party integrations, ClickUp really does bring all your work into one place allowing you to glimpse the big-picture before quickly drilling down into its component tasks.
- Build automated email workflows. Lighten your load by building out email templates for workflows that will automatically send out emails for you. Whether you're fine-tuning an outreach flow, handling support tickets, or coordinating with third-party contractors, ClickUp's automations make it easy to send out emails exactly when you need to.
- Limited free usage. ClickUp only offers 100 uses of their email feature on the free version of their platform. Fortunately, the lowest tier paid plan immediately offers unlimited uses of email, although only one email account can be linked (additional email accounts cost an additional $2/mo).
- Free Forever gives access to a large majority of ClickUp's features, including 100 uses of email and 100 automations
- Billing options: from $5 to $19 per month depending on features number of uses
- Custom price for the Enterprise version
ProofHub is a project management software that helps teams get productive at collaboration while minimizing their reliance on emails. May it be assigning tasks, sharing important documents, or sending out project updates, ProofHub makes work much more organized.
It features dedicated tools for team communication such as Team Chat, Discussion Boards, and task comments that come with instant notifications. Users don't have to scour their email inbox to find items, everything is clearly laid out for better visibility and ease of use.
Users who wish to continue using email for productivity can send project updates, create tasks, or share files, using the Email-in feature that doesn't require direct login. Hence, ProofHub boosts email efficiency by several scores for collaborative teams.
What's Great about ProofHub?
- Centralizing Work Management. Many teams don't just use emails but a host of work apps for managing their tasks. ProofHub centralizes several such apps used for task management, file management, messaging, and documentation into a single cohesive interface which is a lot easier to keep track of.
- Simplifying Project Communication. It's hard to maintain context in your conversations on email but with ProofHub, teams can easily hold focussed discussions without ever-expanding email threads. Instantly reach out to coworkers or leave asynchronous messages, or send out email updates with minimal friction.
- Decluttering Workflows. Teams can build entire workflows for resolving project tasks and keep relevant team members in the loop without email CC. As tasks progress through predefined workflow stages, stakeholders are automatically informed, with punctuality intact.
- Reducing Time Churn. You can severely reduce the time needed to collaborate on projects with ProofHub. Instant updates, mobile apps, and greater connectivity offered by the tool take away the "slowness" induced by email inboxes. Speed up project delivery with measurable time savings every day.
- ProofHub is available only on the web (any web browser), iOS, and Android mobile apps.
The app offers a 14-day free full-feature trial.
Billing options: $89 per month when billed annually consisting of all features and unlimited users.
Let's Turn Your Email into Your Productivity Powerstation!
So, here's the deal. If you piece all the email efficiency tools mentioned above together, you get the best way to maximize your email efficiency and effectiveness:
- FollowUp.cc for your conversations that require extra attention — make sure none of your emails are forgotten. Get reminders for you and anyone in a particular conversation.
- Unroll.me for all the junk mail — pull up all your subscriptions and get a list where you can unsubscribe from all the junk in one go. No need to waste time searching your inbox for that tiny unsub button.
- Dropbox for all your files to instantly edit and share them in your emails, even the big ones — store all your files in a cloud so you can send them by email or edit right in the hub.
- Todoist to turn your work and personal chores into next-level to-do lists — sort out your tasks and make sure you and your team get things done on time.
- Asana to manage your projects — sort out a bigger team's workload and mailboxes with multiple projects, and make sure your company is on top of its productivity and that none of your team members burn out.
- Meet up in Whereby! regardless of your team's location — have meetings with your colleagues face-to-face in the video format.
- And stack them all in Mailbird, turning your email into a powerful workstation where you will sort out all your email accounts and messengers, stay on top of your organization skills, work, and life projects, and video chat with colleagues.
From quick and easy online communications of different formats to task and file management, here's almost everything you need in your everyday life at work, and all these things may be easily managed inside a single interface.
No time wasted. No distractions.